Smart phone use has skyrocketed over the last few years. Hubspot has put together a great set of slides with some interesting facts. Here’s a couple; 91% of adults have their phones within arms reach 24/7. There are 5x as many mobiles in the world as PCs. 50% have scanned a QR code, 18% have purchased afterwards. With the world turning mobile having a mobile marketing strategy is extremely important.
QR codes (and NFC tags) are excellent tools that you can use to engage with your smartphone toting audience. It’s all about the ease of access to digital content. Running a search or typing in a URL on a smartphone can be extremely frustrating, especially while you are out and about. Scanning a QR code or tapping on an NFC tag is a much simpler option.
Picture from 50 Mobile Facts
Engaging with your audience using QR codes is an excellent idea but some thought needs to be put into the landing page or digital experience on the other side of the scan. Companies typically use QR codes to provide more information about a product or service, give out a deal or coupon or solicit some form of social media interaction such as a Facebook check-in or Tweet.
We’ve compiled a list of the most important things to remember when using QR codes.
- The code needs to be easy to scan! They are not well suited for moving targets such as buses. They need to be large enough to scan from a typical vantage point and the contrast ratio between the code and the background should be high, we’ll post on this in the coming weeks.
- Create an exciting call to action. People are most tempted to scan when they are offered a deal, discount, coupon. Less people will scan for more information and very few will scan a blank QR.
- The landing page is as important as the call to action. Make sure the content is optimized for mobile and engaging otherwise you will quickly loose them.
Here’s a great example of a well designed QR campaign from our friends at Nexba Ice Tea. It has a clear call to action, the QR has great contrast and is big enough to scan.
Generating a QR code is simple, there are many tools on the web we even have one.
If you are serious about running QR campaigns for your business give our ‘safe QR’ generator a try. You can use it to generate up to 5 QR codes for free and has some great features.
- A shortened URL is used resulting in a less complex QR code which is easier to scan.
- You can change the landing page for the QR code at any time, its not fixed.
- Track all the scans that your QR code gets, this is great for optimizing your campaign and seeing how well it’s going.
Good luck with your mobile marketing!
About Swyp It
Swyp It is a global provider of NFC solutions. We’re continually looking for tech savvy brands who want to experiment and explore the NFC space, send us an email if that is you! firstname.lastname@example.org